Hudson, A Little Miracle


Brother Henry laying on top of Hudson. Sharing their stripes #forRMHC

“I delivered Hudson who was born at 34 weeks gestation and had a traumatic delivery. A week prior, I had started wrestling with what felt like an upper respiratory infection. After multiple trips to the doctor, the only conclusion to my trouble breathing was the respiratory infection. I was in immense pain for several days when I went into labor. I arrived at Erlanger Hospital at 11:30 p.m. and delivered my son around 2 a.m. It was quick, however, I never sensed anything wrong at the time of delivery. Naturally, being a preemie, I knew they would take every precaution with my little one. One quick kiss on the cheek was all I got until they whisked him away to NICU.

The next morning I went for an x-ray and it was found that I had pleural effusion, a big sack behind the lining of my lung. I was treated with antibiotics and some instruction to follow up with my primary physician. I didn’t get to meet Hudson until the next day. The neonatologists came to my hospital room and advised us that Hudson had a major brain bleed (grade IV) and seizures at birth.  They didn’t know the extent of the damage. They would need to wait to see if the bleed would resolve, or if a shunt would be needed. Hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid inside the skull that leads to brain swelling, resulted. At 18 days old, our little one had surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain.

Within a few days we were given the opportunity of staying in at Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) of Greater Chattanooga. My illness had not been resolved and my husband was still trying to work when he could. It was perfect for us to stay at RMHC so that I could be close to the NICU. Having a place to rest, pump, and receive a warm meal at times was so overwhelming, that I would cry at how thankful I was for the support. It truly is a “home away from home.” Hudson spent 32 days in the NICU. Our stay at RMHC was cut short; I had to have an emergency surgery and time in the ICU and hospital as my plural effusion almost collapsed my lung.

Even now, the ministry of RMHC has been a source of comfort and rest as my son has spent many visits in the hospital and PICU. Hudson is now 6 years old. He did have a shunt placed and struggles with cerebral palsy and developmental delay. Despite this, he has been a blessing to us and has taught us many things. RMHC has not just been a memory, but continues to be a ministry as we never know when our next visit to the RMHC will be.

We hope to stay involved by volunteering and donating when time and resources allow. We are forever grateful for the ongoing support RMHC provides. Thank you so much and keep doing what your doing.” 

– Crystal Horner, Hixson, Tenn.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s